Smart Africa Advisor for Benin (m/f/t)
Arbeitsbeginn : Ab sofort
Bewerbungsfrist : 19.12.2021
Smart Africa Secretariat is looking for an advisor (m/f/t) at the duty station in Benin
About the Smart Africa Digital Academy (SADA)
Over the past decade, Africa has made great strides in enrolling children in school, with some countries providing free primary education for the first nine years. Despite this achievement, the average Human Capital Index (HCI) falls below the average, with one of the highest being 52 on a scale of 100 education being a major determinant factor.
With a population estimated to approximately 1.3bn people who are majorly youthful, ensuring quality jobs to leverage on the continent’s demographic opportunity is set to be one of Africa’s game-changer. An estimated 15 to 20 million increasingly well-educated young people will join the African workforce every year for the next three decades.
Smart Africa Digital Academy (SADA) is the delivery vehicle of the Smart Africa capacity building and skills development activities across the various digital skills spectrum. It is a pan-African dynamic learning ecosystem in which African citizens of all ages and social classes can gain or improve their digital skills, gain qualifications, meet the emerging talent needs of employers, industry or be self-reliant.
SADA’s birth was driven by the need to meet a genuine need of sustainable jobs driven by the fact that 15% of the world’s working-age population are expected to be from Africa by 2030. The Smart Africa Member States governments recognize the urgency to drive inclusion and economic growth through the development and adoption of strategies for education and skills development to build this required future workforce.
Digital skills development at all levels – from basic to competency-based – is required to allow the uptake of new technologies in the economy, increase productivity, support growth while avoiding unnecessary disruptions in the labor market and society.
The Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit GmbH (GiZ) and Smart Africa Secretariat (SAS) have come together to implement the SADA initiative with a focus on policy and decision makers.
Position Description and Duties
The Smart Africa Secretariat would like to recruit an Advisor to work with the Ministry of Digital Technology and Digitalization in Benin, to supervise the implementation of the capacity building initiatives in-country which includes SADA operationalization and to ensure successful coordination between the Ministry and Smart Africa.
More precisely, the Smart Africa Advisor for Benin will be the focal point of the Ministry of Digital Technology and Digitalization who will liaise with Smart Africa. He/She will oversee the capacity building initiatives in country, will work directly with the Project Officers in charge of the implementation of these initiatives to ensure efficient coordination and implementation.
The primary duties of the Smart Africa Advisor for Benin will include:
- Liaise with Smart Africa and the Ministry to ensure smooth and effective communication between the two Organizations,
- Assist the Ministry of Digital Technology and Digitalization with documents, meetings, and activities related to the collaboration with Smart Africa to ensure efficiency (MoUs, correspondence letters, concept notes, etc.),
- Assist the Ministry : in coordinating the digital skills assessment needs in country
- coordinate, facilitate and supervise the implementation of capacity building initiatives in-country
- coordinate the recruitment of beneficiaries with the Ministry of Digital Technology and Digitalization for planned capacity building initiatives;
- Support the Smart Africa and the Ministry of Digital Technology and Digitalization with procurement and project related processes,
- Assist the Ministry in establishing concept notes, ToR’s in relation to the planned capacity building initiatives,
- Support the Smart Africa team and the Ministry of Digital Economy and Digitalization in selecting and engaging with providers that will provide digital skills development in Benin,
- Ensure monitoring of ongoing capacity building initiatives, and ensure regular feedback with Smart Africa and the Ministry of Digital Technology and Digitalization
- Establish close collaboration, working arrangements, partnerships with other local Government entities, local Private sector, local non-Government organizations, local Academia, and other local professional associations in Benin, to ensure good coordination, collaboration, and timely conduct of Smart Africa activities in country.
- Liaise with the local Government and other key stakeholders to promote enabling ICT policy and regulatory environment that would facilitate the implementation of initiatives in country.
- Participate in project meetings and workshops and other activities as required.
- Provide periodical reports on the progress of in-country project activities and issues arising.
- Any other assignments or projects, which will be assigned from time to time by the leadership of Smart Africa or the Ministry of the Digital Economy and Digitalization in Benin
Profile of the Consultant
- At least Master’s Engineer Degree in Computer Science, Software engineering or in other relevant fields.
- Professional expertise in conceptualizing, gathering complex business requirements, planning and architecting IT solutions that will help guide for designing and developing complex IT systems. This will require analytical, technical and leadership skills in order to follow new and ongoing project.
- Experience working in coordination of projects in the fields of digital transformation, capacity building, etc.
- Demonstrated experience with projects (at government level) of the same nature would constitute an added advantage.
- Capacity to work fully independently.
- Significant leadership, planning & communication and problem-solving skills and experience.
- Knowledge of Africa and development issues.
- Preferably, experience in Africa and/or in other developing regions.
- Experience working with public administration is desirable.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong communication and interpersonal abilities,
- Demonstrated written, analytical, presentation, reporting, and computing skills and familiarity with modern communication systems (internet, the world wide web, email, etc.).
- Strong competence in the use of standard software productivity tools (such as Microsoft Office Suite or others).
- Ability to work in a team.
- Strong adaptability
- Fluency in French is required. Fluency in English will be an asset.
Duration of the assignment
The appointment will be for 6 months extendable (renewable) based on the continued need and availability of funds.
The consultant will work under the supervision of chief of staff of the Ministry of Digital Technology and Digitalization.
Application Instructions and Deadline
Candidates should send the following documents to the following email address: email@example.com not later than 19th December 2021 5:00 pm Kigali time:
Veröffentlicht am: 22.11.2021
- A detailed CV in either French or English.
- A one-page cover letter with a motivation statement in relation to these terms of reference.
- Copies of academic degree certificates and relevant professional certificates.