Policy Assistant (m/f/d)
Arbeitsbeginn : Ab sofort
Bewerbungsfrist : 23.09.2022
Reports to: Policy Manager
Contract: Full-time Belgian contract (38 hours, initially for 1-year, permanent contract thereafter, dependent on positive evaluation and funding available)
Benefits: Annual public transport pass from and to the office covered by employer
Starting date: October 2022
The European Union of the Deaf (EUD) is a European non-profit making umbrella organisation whose membership comprises National Associations of Deaf in Europe. Established in 1985, EUD is the only organisation representing the interests of deaf Europeans at the European level. EUD maintains EU level dialogue with the European Union institutions, in consultation and co-operation with its member National Associations of the Deaf.
EUD is seeking an efficient Policy Assistant to work in in the EUD secretariat.
The ideal candidate is committed to equal opportunities and human rights approach to sign language and deafness, has an good knowledge on UN CRPD and its role, obligations, and potential, knows how to manage his/her workload, is able to work effectively in written English.
Competence in a sign language will be an asset, but generally people who are aware about deaf community, culture and are willing to learn, are encouraged to apply.
- To support the monitoring of EU developments, policies and actions in relation to deafness, sign language, and disability;
- To support the Policy team in alerting the EUD to threats and opportunities for the Deaf community across the European Union;
- To provide support in developing and implementing campaign and advocacy strategies;
- To assist in providing user-friendly information for EUD members on EU policy initiatives;
- To support the Policy team in researching and editing EUD publications;
- To support co-operation with European-level NGOs, such as the European Disability Forum;
- To support with providing advice for EUD member organisations on the EU legislative procedures and UN human rights instruments;
- To support the development of position papers;
- To write regular policy articles and reports;
- To conduct any other policy task, as required by the Board and/or General Assembly as well as the staff.
Qualifications and Experience Required
- Good working knowledge of the EU legislative framework and the UN CRPD;
- Good knowledge of disability, non-discrimination and accessibility legislation at European level.
2. Skills/ Abilities
- Excellent written English skills;
- Understanding of deaf people’s rights-based approach to sign language legislation and the ability to implement these values in the work of the post;
- Ability to work in a small, busy team;
- Ability to work independently after minimal introduction;
- Analytical skills and ability to assimilate and process information on a wide variety of issues and for a wide variety of audiences;
- Ability to prepare presentations for a large range of audiences;
- Ability to manage a complex workload, to plan and prioritise.
- At least one year of comparable professional experience in a European NGO or EU institution, or in a comparable position at national level;
- Experience of policy and advocacy work in EUD’s fields of work.
For applications to be valid, candidates must submit
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae no longer than 2 pages;
- Letter of motivation no longer than 1 page.
The CV and motivation letter must be sent in written English.
Deaf people are encouraged to apply for this position.
Closing date for receipt of applications is 23rd September.
If you are looking for a new challenge and wish to know more, or to request a detailed job description, then please contact David Hay email@example.com.
If you want to learn more about EUD, please visit our website – www.eud.eu.
Veröffentlicht am: 15.09.2022