Speechwriter & Communications Advisor to the Director-General (m/f/d)
> 5 Jahre Berufserfahrung, Vollzeit
Arbeitsbeginn : Ab sofort
Bewerbungsfrist : 17.08.2022
The Office of the Director-General of the WTO is seeking to fill a position of Speechwriter & Communications Advisor to the Director-General.
This is an External Vacancy Notice open to external candidates and WTO staff. It is posted on the WTO internal as well as external career site. Eligible WTO staff on short-term, fixed-term or regular contracts and interns must apply through the Workday internal career site.
Reporting to the Chief of Staff, the incumbent will undertake the following functions:
- Prepare speeches and other written materials for the Director-General (DG).
- Provide strategic and tactical advice on all communications issues.
- Manage the DG’s messaging across internal and external outlets.
- Handle complex and politically sensitive WTO issues assigned to him/her.
- Liaise with colleagues around the organization to tailor research and other materials for the DG’s communications.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships WTO members and other contacts outside the Secretariat.
- Support the planning and preparation of major events and announcements, such as Ministerial Conferences and the WTO Public Forum.
- Identify and assess speaking opportunities for the DG and opportunities for other interventions such as op-eds.
- Maintain and develop a strong knowledge of WTO, trade and macroeconomic issues.
- Advise or manage other elements of the WTO’s work or projects, as required.
- Advanced university degree level in international affairs, public relations or other relevant field, or a university degree with proven professional expertise equivalent to an advanced university degree
Knowledge and Skills:
Technical knowledge and skills:
- Excellent writing skills and ability to tailor own writing style to fit that of the Director-General.
- Strong speechwriting experience; experience of working with leaders in international organizations, government or the private sector would be an advantage.
- Strong communication skills including excellent speaking, writing and interpersonal skills.
- Solid knowledge of WTO, trade and macroeconomic issues.
- The following capabilities are also required: ability to work under pressure and deliver to a high standard, to initiate and build relationships with a variety of people both inside and outside the organization; to communicate complex abstract ideas to an audience of informed people and understand ideas when communicated by others; to persuade others of a particular point of view which may challenge others’ values and beliefs; to cope with and resolve conflicts; and to work in a team.
- Minimum 8 years’ experience, preferably 10 years or more, in progressively senior communications roles, preferably in government, the private sector or international organizations.
- Must be fluent in English. Knowledge of French or Spanish would be an advantage.
Veröffentlicht am: 22.07.2022
- Only applications from nationals of WTO Members will be accepted.
- The recruitment process will be undertaken as per Administrative Memorandum No. 976 (OFFICE(16)/15) on Staff Promotions and external recruitment through Vacancy Notices.
- For non-entry level positions, the position may be offered at a lower grade if the selected candidate does not fully meet all the required qualifications.
- The WTO may use various communication technologies such as video or teleconference for the assessment and evaluation of candidates. The recruitment process may also involve the use of various forms of testing, assessment centres, interviews and reference checks.
- Applicants may be required to sit a written examination.
- Applicants will be contacted directly if selected for an interview.
- Please note that the WTO employment offer is conditional on new employees confirming that they are fully vaccinated against Covid-19, except where a medical condition does not allow such vaccination (as certified by the WTO medical service). If you do not have access to vaccination in your place of origin, you may be vaccinated in Geneva during the onboarding process. The successful candidate will be asked to provide relevant evidence relating to this condition.
- Candidates not selected whose performance in the selection process nevertheless shows them to be suitable for a similar position may be kept on a roster for up to 24 months, and may subsequently be called upon as and when the need arises for additional resources.
- All applicants are encouraged to apply online as soon as possible after the vacancy has been posted and well before the closing date – Geneva (Switzerland) time – stated in the vacancy announcement.