Senior Campaigner (m/f/d)
London, UK | Berlin, Germany | Paris, France | Brussels, Belgium
> 2 years experience, > 5 years experience, Full-time
Arbeitsbeginn : Ab sofort
Bewerbungsfrist : 03.02.2023
Help EJF protect our natural world and defend human rights.
This is a rare opportunity to join the team at the Environmental Justice Foundation (EJF): one of the world’s leading non-profits working at the intersection of environmental conservation and human rights.
As a Senior Campaigner you will lead EJF’s policy and advocacy efforts on securing a fundamental shift to greater transparency in fisheries – a key organisational priority. You will also assume a leadership role in a newly formed global coalition – the Global Fisheries Transparency Coalition – designed with other leading environmental organisations to accelerate the adoption of transparency measures.
You will be part of EJF’s Ocean team, which investigates, documents and runs successful campaigns against illegal, unreported and unregulated (IUU) fishing and associated human rights abuses. The team uses this field-based evidence to advocate for policy changes with governments and improved corporate practices in the seafood sector. A key thread running through all of our advocacy is the need for greater transparency in global fisheries through the adoption of EJF’s Charter for Transparency. This senior role, reporting directly to EJF’s Global CEO, will lead EJF’s engagement on this critical issue.
The role offers unique opportunities for career growth and personal development. It will work closely with a motivated and talented team of EJF investigators, campaigners and communications experts across Europe, Africa and Asia. It will lead on the strategy development, including findings from investigations and recommendations to a large community of practice, building close working relationships with a diverse range of civil society groups from across the world. It will also support important, high-level advocacy taking place in many of the world’s most important fishing nations and offer an exciting opportunity to engage with senior staff in key environmental NGOs and high-level decision-makers. This is a challenging but rewarding and dynamic role, providing an opportunity to work at the forefront of a critically important issue.
EJF is lean, agile, creative, strategic and most of all results driven. We deliver an ambitious agenda, grounded in national-level change and impact. Join our world-leading professional team to help protect people, wildlife, and our shared natural world.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead on strategy development for EJF’s global transparency campaign, including of an ambitious work plan that secures the rapid adoption of key transparency reforms;
- Build strong connections with a range of senior stakeholders, particularly in governments and various international organisations, but also with the civil society and industry with a view to secure EJF’s policy goals on transparency;
- Oversee EJF’s global transparency campaign, working with staff in Europe, Asia and Africa to secure meaningful reforms in key fishing nations;
- Lead EJF’s engagement in a new global fisheries transparency coalition, ensuring EJF’s findings, policies and priorities are reflected in its outputs and the coalition delivers on its objective;
- Lead on the development of high-quality EJF briefings, reports and other advocacy and campaigning materials on the need for greater transparency;
- Give media interviews, speak publicly and deliver compelling presentations the fisheries transparency, and promote corresponding recommendations, including in one-to-one meetings and events, adapting your messages to different audiences;
- Ensure EJF’s findings and recommendations for greater transparency are communicated to key members of the global seafood industry, with appropriate recommendations to secure more transparent, sustainable supply chains; and
- Proactively liaise with the communications team to support the development of the overall communication strategy and to ensure EJF’s positions, achievements and other key messages on transparency are shared with target audiences and that the communications plans of the global coalition are appropriately shared and understood.
Essential skills and attributes:
- At least four years of professional experience delivering measurable, high-impact outputs and positive outcomes in relevant fields;
- Understanding and experience of employing imaginative influencing, including communication techniques and an appreciation of how those tools could work with policy, research and lobbying to influence a political agenda;
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills and proven experience of leading or contributing to strategy development, including monitoring and evaluation;
- Understanding of the fundamental need for attention to detail and factual accuracy;
- A passion for communication and extensive experience presenting to diverse audiences to secure their understanding, respect and support for the campaigns. This specifically includes high-level decision-makers from governments, industry and civil society;
- An understanding of the need for creative thinking to resolve issues and experience in building effective strategies for the delivery of core messages;
- High levels of reliability, determination and self-motivation as well as the ability to work effectively with a small, dynamic and international team, but also to work independently and taking the initiative;
- Confident and enthusiastic to face challenging issues and a problem-solver;
- Creative thinker who uses tact and diplomacy to build productive partnerships and alliances;
- Integrity, tenacity and determination to secure positive change;
- Ability to travel frequently (public health restrictions permitting);
- Comfortable taking direction, working in a team, with equal ability to work independently, taking initiative and responsibility;
- Strong and demonstrable commitment to EJF’s mission, values and vision;
- Ability to write clear, succinct policy guidance documents and reports as well as persuasive opinion pieces;
- Excellent communications skills, both written and verbal in English.
- Experience working on ocean policy or related disciplines is highly desired;
- Strong understanding of recent developments in fisheries governance;
- Experience working in an effective NGO coalition;
- Ability to undertake confident, accurate media interviews to further EJF’s messages.
We offer you:
- Pay and benefits will be adjusted according to location.
- An annual leave that increases every year;
- Home office two days a week after completion of probationary period;
- Flexible working arrangements can be considered;
- Cycle to work programme;
- Other benefits depending on location;
- Induction and training to ensure successful candidates are up to speed with the latest developments relevant to their work plans;
- A highly motivated and open-minded team of committed colleagues and the opportunity to develop and implement compelling propositions that can deliver campaign and organisational goals;
- The position offers great opportunities for your professional growth and personal development in close collaboration with our diverse team in our offices across Europe, Africa and Asia.
Applications: Please send your CV and a cover letter in English explaining why you are the right person for this position to email@example.com.
Closing date for applications: We would like to fill this position as soon as possible and will consider incoming applications until 5pm Friday 3rd February 2023. We, therefore, recommend that you apply in good time before the deadline.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No other communication or agency contact, please.
Candidates must have the legal right to work in the EU or UK. EJF is an equal opportunities employer, committed to diversity within the workplace.
Veröffentlicht am: 16.01.2023